Where Basket Ball was First Played
The building has significant historical value as it is where the game of basketball was invented by James Naismith and the site of the first game in on Dec. 21, 1891.
The building has been known by many different names over the years, including the Winchester Square building, Mason Square building, and the Armory Hill building.
The building was constructed adjacent to the Hope Church (formerly Hope Chapel) on Armory Hill on the corner of State and Sherman Streets in the Mason Square, known then as the Winchester Square, a section of Springfield (also known as Winchester Park or Triangle).
The area was originally named after Springfield’s mayor at that time, Charles A. Winchester.
In 1987 Winchester Square was changed to Mason Square, after Primus Mason who originally owned the land during the mid-1800s.
Primus Mason (1817-1892) was an influential African-American businessman who invested his money in real estate in Springfield. By 1888 he was one of the wealthiest citizens of the city and when he died in 1892 he left his money to create the Springfield Home for Aged Men which is now the Mason-Wright Retirement Community on Walnut Street.
In December 1884, the School's leaders were determined that $22,500 should be raised to fund the construction of its own building at Winchester Square.
At the February 23, 1885 Board of Trustees meeting, the trustees voted to purchase the lot of land from John and William McKnight on the corner of Sherman and State Streets for $5,500, and a building committee was created to propose a plan for the School for Christian Workers building.
The building was designed by the architectural firm of Francis R. Richmond and B. Hammett Seabury and built by E.W. Shattuck Co.
From the time the School began in January of 1885 until the time the building was completed, classes were held in the Hope Church where David Allen Reed (the School’s founder and first president) was the minister.
In March of 1886, students moved into their rooms in the new building and on April first of that year construction was completed.
The School for Christian Workers building was officially dedicated on June 1, 1886.
According to the November 7, 1885 issue of the Springfield Daily Union and a 1923 copy of The Springfield Student, the building consisted of several spaces: a reading room (26 x 18 feet), a gymnasium (49 x 41 feet), a recitation room for evening classes (16 x 20 feet), an amusement room for quiet games (14 x 20 feet), a parlor, and the secretary's cozy room (14 x 16 feet).
The building also contained 50 sleeping rooms designed to comfortably accommodate 75 students on the third and fourth floors.
In May of 1886, the Armory Hill YMCA began renting rooms in the building and utilizing the gymnasium. Jacob Bowne, chair of the Armory Hill YMCA and head of the School's YMCA department, donated his volumes as the nucleus for a library.
In his third annual report on September 1886, Jacob Bowne included a detailed list of the gymnastics equipment on-site: punching bags; chest developers; wrist, forearm, and abdominal machines; chest and rowing weights; giant and floor pullies; horizontal, parallel, and breast bars; climbing ropes and poles; quarter-circle rope ladder; springboard and leaping standards; flying rings and Indian clubs; wooden and iron dumbbells; two spirometers; two dynamometers as well as 100 dressing boxes, three tubs and a shower bath.
Modeled after the Boston YMCA, the gymnasium also contained a running track, gymnastics apparatus, bathrooms, water closets, and dressing rooms.
The Young Men’s Christian Association Training School, established in 1887, included a Secretarial Department, preparing students for secretary work in the YMCA, as well as a Physical (Gymnasium) Department, preparing students to become physical directors in the YMCA.
The second department of the School was a Sunday School Workers’ Training School which prepared Christian laymen for the work either of a Sunday School Missionary, Pastors'-Helper, or Sunday School Superintendent.
On June 10, 1890 the departments of the School for Christian Workers separated into two separate schools: The School for Christian Workers and the Young Men’s Christian Association Training School (now Springfield College).
Both schools continued to share the building in Winchester Square until 1896, when the Training School moved to its present location on Massasoit Lake (or the Watershops Pond).
Initially, according to the September 19, 1890 Trustee records, it was agreed that the YMCA Training School would purchase the original school building from the School for Christian Workers.
On January 9, 1891, during the International YMCA Training School Trustee Meeting, that decision was rescinded because land on Alden Street became available that was more suited for the needs of the Training School.
The thirty acres of land were purchased from two prominent Springfield families looking to settle an estate.
Soon after, the School purchased the adjoining land from William R. Purple which added another 450 feet to the school’s waterfront.
In 1894, the first building on the new land, Judd Gymnasia, was constructed and in 1896 the first dormitory.
In 1896 the transfer of the International YMCA Training School to the new campus was complete.
In 1897 the School for Christian Workers became the Bible Normal College and moved to Hartford, Connecticut to share the resources of the Hartford Seminary.
In 1965 the building was torn down and the land paved to create a parking lot.
In 1995 the land was purchased by the McDonald’s Corporation, who were unaware of the significance of the property.
When construction began on the new restaurant, the site was excavated exposing the original cellar and bricks of the School for Christian Workers building.
The McDonald’s restaurant that now stands on the corner of State and Sherman streets has a monument commemorating the site.
- 1885 - Construction on the building begins
- 1886, March 13 - Students move into their rooms in the new building
- 1886, April 1 - Work completed on building
- 1886, June 1- Dedication of the building
- 1890, June 10 - The two departments of the School for Christian Workers split and two schools are formed; the new corporation is the YMCA Training School. Both schools share the building.
- 1890, September - International YMCA Training School decides to purchase the original school building from the School for Christian Workers
- 1891, January 9 - Decision of Training School to purchase the original building is rescinded as land becomes available on Alden Street
- 1891, December 21 - First game of basketball played in building’s gymnasium
- 1896 - International YMCA Training School transfers to new campus on Massasoit Lake
- 1897 - School for Christian Workers becomes Bible Normal College and moves to Hartford, Connecticut
- 1965- Building demolished and paved to form a parking lot
- 1995, October - McDonald's Corporation buys property and builds restaurant on property
- 2010, August 8 - Dedication of monument to the creation of Basketball dedicated in Mason Square across street of original building site
Researched and originally written by Amanda DiPaolo, December 2009
Want more information on the Original School Building?